As part of measures to safeguard the health and wellbeing of the vulnerable groups in Ghana amid the novel coronavirus pandemic and subsequent lockdown of affected areas like Accra, Kumasi, Kasoa and Tema,government intends to support 15,000 kayayes with food and shelter.
Disclosing this at a press briefing at the Ministry of Information today, 1st April,2020, the Minister for Gender, Children and Social Protection (MoGCSP) Hon. Cynthia Maamle Morrison indicated that, these measures laid down by the Government of Ghana via her Ministry aims to cushion these vulnerable groups as partial lockdown of affected areas are enforced.
These measure to be implemented by her Ministry are as follows:
- The Ministry has had meetings with the COVID-19 Planning Committee (National Security, NADMO and the Ministry of Finance).
- They have visited various market places and met with their leaders to help update the data of Kakayes at various locations and also had a fore knowledge on how they are coping during the lockdown.
- The Ministry also visited some suitable facilities to accommodate Kayayes who have no place of abode during the two weeks of lockdown. Adding that those who have some form of apartments will be provided with logistics to help keep them away from the streets during the lockdown period.
- The Ministry is also proposing direct assistance to 15,000 Kakayes, mothers with children with disability as well as persons with disability.
- The Ministry together with some corporate bodies will accommodate the kayayes and about 500 street children in the affected cities and provide them with essential services such as food, water and toiletries.
- The Ministry will provide hot meals and water for people on the streets with essential problems.
- The Ministry together with the Food and Drugs Authority are producing 15,000 hand sanitizers for distribution to the vulnerable.
- The Ministry will cater for about 20 retarded people in a special facility, feed them twice a day and keep them clean whilst providing them with medical assistance.
- The Ministry will train the Kayayes on personal hygiene, educate them on the usage of hand sanitizers and the need for social distancing at this critical moment. Their temperatures will constantly be checked to ensure their in good condition.
- The Ministry will provide the Kayayes with veronica buckets for handwashing as part of their personal hygiene.
In addition, The Minister for Gender, Children and Social Protection pointed out that, her Ministry will transport foods to the various locations of the Kayayes during the two weeks lockdown periods.
In Greater Accra, “they will serve foods to Kayayes at the following locations, Nima, CMB, Mallam Attah Market, Agblogbloshie, Tema Station, Circle, Tip toe Lane, Pig Farm, Alajo, Accra New Town, Mamobi, Odawna, Neoplan Station, Kaneshie, Bukom among others”, she stated.
Adding, in Kumasi, they will send food to Kakayes at the following locations; Adiebeba High Tension, Moshie Zongo Market, Anyaano Moshie Zongo, Alaba, Subin Yalwa, Subin Sheep Market, Daaban Station, Bantama North, Bohyen Slums amomg others.
This is part of the Ministry’s efforts to help promote the survival, social protection and development of children, vulnerable and excluded and persons with disability during this Corona virus pandemic.
Source: www.thenewindependentonline.com/ News Desk