According to Ghana Watwr Company Limited, (GWCL), the month of June marks the end of the Governments directive to the them (Ghana Water Company Limited) to serve Ghanaians with water for free as part of measures to curb the rapid spread of the covid-19 pandemic.
In a Press Release signed by the Head of Public Relations/Communications Mr. Stanley Martey copied to The New Independent Online News portal indicates that, “Customers of GWCL must please note, that from hence, the payment of water bills will be the responsibility of the customer”.
The release further stated that, “The Minister of Sanitation and Water Resources, and the Management of Ghana Water Company Limited (GWCL) therefore wish to inform consumers and the general public that the last day of June 2020, officially ends the free water delivery”.
GWCL assures customers that, meter readers, and all frontline staff, will continue to adhere and practice in full, all the protocols to protect themselves and our cherished customers, including cladding themselves in full GWCL apparel, identity cards, personal sanitizers and face masks, before accessing their premises to read the meters.
- Landlords and landladies can revert to the arrangements with tenants prior to the free water delivery.
2. Water Vendors can/must resume their normal business after the last meter readings in June 2020.
3. Disconnected Customers who were reconnected to enable them enjoy the free water during the period, must as a matter of urgency pay their arrears to remain connected.
4. Disconnected customers will remain disconnected until their arrears are settled in full before their supply will be reinstated.
5. All GWCL collection/pay points are opened during normal working hours and Customers can also pay their bills via mobile money channels with all the telecommunications networks.
“The Management of GWCL wishes to express its appreciation to all agencies who supported the free water delivery. Special appreciation to Government for the kind gesture towards Ghanaians”, the Release noted.