Coronavirus Crisis:Four more cases confirmed in Ghana

In the wake of novel coronavirus crisis across the globe, Ghana, a West Africa country has so far recorded six (6) confirmed cases since the virus outbreak.

Ghana first two confirmed cases of the virus was on Thursday, 12th March,2020 at Korle-Bu Teaching Hospital, Accra the capital city of the country after the President’s announcement of 100 million dollars on Wednesday in an address to the citizenry regarding to government preparation to ensure safety of Ghanaians.

The new development was announced by the Director of Public Health at Ghana Health Service, Dr. Badu Sarkodie during a press briefing on the current status of the country at the Information Ministry, Sunday, March 15, 2020.

According to him, 2 more cases, after Thursday’s, were confirmed on Friday March 13, 2020 – one from the Ashanti Region and the other from the Greater Accra Region.

Giving details on the confirmed cases the Director of Public Health, Ghana Health Service explained that, the first is a 56-year-old Ghanaian who returned from a trip in the United Kingdom on the 4th of March, stayed in the UK for 10 days.

On 12th March, 2020, he developed symptoms and reported to a health facility in Obuasi,” Dr. Sarkodie said.

Samples where later taken from him and sent to Kumasi Center for collaborative Research which the results according to Badu Sarkodie, returned positive.

The second, he noted, is a woman, and a student who travelled to the United States of Anerica, stayed there for about 10 days and returned to Ghana on the 10th of March.

On the 13th of March, she started showing symptoms that later were confirmed to be compatible with the suspected case of COVID-19.

There, samples were taken to the Noguchi Memorial Medical Research Institute which turned out to be positive.

Speaking to the recent confirmed cases, thus the fifth and sixth cases, Dr. Sakordie acclaimed that, these two cases were recorded on Saturday, late in the afternoon, from the Noguchi Memorial Medical Research.

According to Dr. Sarkodie, the first is a 42-year-old Ghanaian male who returned to Ghana on the 8th of March after traveling to Switzerland and UK in the past 14 days.

For him, symptoms started on the 9th of March that, he reported to the health facility on the 14th of March and samples tested confirmed positive.

The second case of Saturday was a 41-year-old Ghanaian male who reported to the Tema General Hospital on the 14th of March with fever and acute respiratory illness.

For Him, he had travelled to Turkey and Germany within the past 14 days that, after samples taken, results from Noguchi confirmed positive.

However, Director of Public Health, Ghana Health Service (GHS) indicated that, both cases had no symptoms on arrival.

All the six confirmed cases he stressed were imported into Ghana.

With regards to previous four cases, Dr. Badu Sakordie assured Ghanaians that, they are stable and under observation, thus are receiving treatment under isolation conditions.

Today’s announcement brings to a total of six confirmed COVID-19 cases in Ghana, however, no deaths are recorded.

This, Dr. Sakordie says and is the situation as at March 14, 2020.

Source: www.thenewindependentonline.com/ Health Desk

314 View(s)